Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Updates!

I didn't mention my next book yet because at the time, I really wasn't sure. I have since started The Water Method Man by John Irving, and I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm not loving it. Typically I adore Irving; I love his complete disregard for convention and politeness and his ability to maintain a story regardless of how politically incorrect it may be (see, for example, A Prayer for Owen Meany about a child who claims an immaculate conception). It may just be the fact that it's summer, and I have some Isabel Allende and Philippa Gregory waiting for me on my bookshelves. Irving definitely doesn't write "girly" books, and I have a tendency to gravitate towards "girly" books during summertime.

So, I think I'm going to put The Water Method Man on the back-burner and look towards Ms. Allende or Ms. Gregory to satisfy my summer reading urges. And, of course, none of these are on the 1,001 Books list. I've put myself on a complete book budget cut...no more buying books because saving for a house down payment and closing costs for next summer is much more important at the moment. This means that I will be relying completely on my own bookshelves, my in-law's bookshelves, and the local library bookshelves for a good long while. The Home Buying for Dummies book will be my last book purchase for a long while, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment