Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Age-Old Desert Island Question?

My favorite radio station XPN has been taking a survey of its listeners about the 10 songs you'd want to have with you on your low-capacity solar-powered Ipod. They'll compile it into an 885 Desert Island Songs list to coincide with their Fall fund drive. I totally forget which songs I submitted because I decided I couldn't over-think it and decided to just vote early on. Even if you're not from the Phili/Jersey/Central PA listening, you should totally check it out (Voting ends tomorrow 9/11, I believe). I'd also suggest checking into their Live Stream of the radio station so you can listen wherever! They play some fantastic new artists as well as some more national "Indie" bands. Regardless of what they're playing, they're non-commercial, meaning more listening time. Even during the fund drives, they limit fundraising to the amount of time usually taken up by commercials on "regular" radio stations. Just take all this rambling to be a whole-hearted suggestion that you check them out.

Still...it's got me to thinking. What happens if you apply this to books? Assuming the deserted island has tons of food, etc., and you'll be there for a good long time, which books would you want to have along? I decided to set some ground rules for my own list (you're free to make your own rules if you want to muse aloud about similar lists):
1. I have to have read it. Being stuck on a deserted island is not the time that I want to bring 10 unread books that turn out to be duds.
2. Series do not count as one book...if I wanted the whole Harry Potter series, I'd better set aside 7 books.

The list I decided on...and believe me, it's taken some agonizing:
1. The Giver by Lois Lowry
2. The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
3. The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillippa Gregory
4. The World According to Garp by John Irving
5. Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
6. Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
7. Jazz by Toni Morrison
8. Rise to Rebellion by Jeff Shaara
9. The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor
10. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

I took it pretty seriously. I figured I should put together a pretty well-rounded list with lots of different kinds of books. I picked a lot of books that I've re-read or read once but think I'll be able to pick up on even more by another couple reads on the island's beach :) Also, I avoided non-fiction because I thought I may want a bit of an escape from my lonely life by connecting with characters (of course, McCourt is the exception, but how can you read that book and not connect to the characters to some extent?).

What do you think? Which 10 books would you want to have in your backpack on your deserted island?

Reminder: you should totally check out XPN's website. They're totally awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment