Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Review: I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

I Know This Much Is True is an extraordinary novel about identical twin boys, one ends up schizophrenic; the other ends up troubled and burdened by life's tragedies. Lamb describes the "normal" boy's attempts to take responsibility for his brother without ending up exactly like him.

Wally Lamb is a masterful story-teller. I really felt the characters, empathized with them, even though I have lived a quiet and sheltered life compared to the trials of nearly everyone involved in the story. I thought that the characters were believable; you don't necessarily support everything that they did, but you could at least understand where they were coming from. And each one tackles some very serious issues -- schizophrenia, SIDS, diabetes, child abuse, treatment of Native Americans, racism, etc. -- but they're still people, and I appreciate that Lamb recognizes this. People can't face such over-arching hardship and live without recognizing humor...and finding love. And that is ultimately what I think this book is about: the ability to find love even among overwhelming problems.

Still, this book is not without fault. Some episodes seem to be included only to prove characters' quirkiness. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I love character-development-driven novels, but sometimes I have trouble with novels that switch back and forth between character development and plot. It seemed like sometimes the plot got too rushed while character development was long and drawn-out and at other times, the plot took a while to develop and character development was fast and forced. It made it hard to maintain my bearings.

All of this, however, does not detract from my recommendation that anyone who hasn't read this yet (and I may be the only one). I truly loved this novel; it was worth all 900 pages.

My rating: 8.9/10

Other reviews:
Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'?
Caribousmom
Book Maven's Blog
Reading Matters
Everything Distils Into Reading
Musings of a Bookish Kitty

Up Next: Eats, Shoots, and Leaves by Lynne Truss

No comments:

Post a Comment